(Photo by Taste of Home)
My family loves Mexican food. This is another great “Make and Take” recipe and another kid approved recipe.
- 2 packages (1-1/2 ounces each) enchilada sauce mix
- 3 cups water
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Salt to taste
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 9 large flour tortillas (9-inch)
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese or Mexican cheese blend
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans, warmed
- Taco sauce, sour cream, chili peppers, chopped onion and/orguacamole, optional
In a saucepan, combine the first six ingredients; simmer for 15-20 minutes. In a skillet, brown the beef. Drain; stir in one third of the sauce. Spread another third on the bottom of a greased 13×9-in. baking pan. Place three tortillas over sauce, tearing to fit bottom of pan. Spoon half of the meat mixture over tortillas; sprinkle with 1-1/2 cups cheese. Add three more tortillas. Spread refried beans over tortillas; top with remaining meat. Sprinkle with 1-1/2 cups of cheese. Layer remaining tortillas; top with the remaining sauce. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Serve with taco sauce, sour cream, chili peppers, chopped onion, and/or guacamole if desired.
**** Note if you cannot find enchilada seasoning like I couldn’t use 1 28 0z and 1 16 oz can of already made enchilada sauce. If you use this you can leave out the first 5 ingredients.